Silk and Spices Forum

Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking the hallways  (Read 244 times)

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Walking the hallways
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »

Key strides along the corridor away from her sister and Nightscale. Once they ate at a distance that they can’t be over heard she slows the pace and looks at Nestrim.

“How are you doing? I know you have a lot on your plate already, but with everything that’s happened lately do you need more help?” Her face is concerned.
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:39 AM »

Nestrim walks alongside Keyleth, thinking about his sisters. A soft smile comes to his face when Key asks after him. He looks over at his sister, "Things are actually going really well. Those ointment jars you found are going to help build a barracks and armory. We still have so much to build, but we have a huge jump start on it. I need to talk with Rabbit, the Duegar are being difficult again, I am not sure why they are so responsive to her, they don't argue with her at all."

He looks over at a guard as they pass, "We have added about 10% more troops that your mother has sent to watch over you. We are going to start hiring our own troops in the next month or so. Sobhan thinks we need to have the barracks fully up first and I have to agree with him. As for help, it will be fine. Are you going to leave me the love of your life?"


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »

Key listens and takes it all in seemingly pleased at the progress. She reaches over and puts a hand on his arm.

“Im glad to hear everything is going well here. What I meant was how are you handling everything that has happened to Alluvian? If you need a break from all this I can arrange it.” She takes her hand back and drops it at her side.

“Anglerond is staying here. Im sure he could handle the day to day if you need a break.”
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »

Nestrim shrugs, "I am glad she is back, and I am fine. I wasn't the one trapped down there. I don't need a break, I need to spend more time working. The ritual in the forest and the subsequent problems took too much time away from my duties here. Don't worry I will be fine."


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »

Key eyes him for a few moments then decides to let it go.

“Okay, but if you need time let me know.” She walks quietly for a few paces before continuing.

“I have a few questions about how things are going. How are we on getting a gate put in here? How are we going to manage a drow embassy? Its been requested that any drow housed here be put up in the main house so they can be kept track of more easily.” She raises an eyebrow.

“I’d like to have a representative of each of the elven factions here if we can manage it. I thought they would be a liason for their respective peoples.”
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

Nestrim laughs, "I see you aren't going slow on this... The gate will be the last thing we put into action. We need everything else operating and our troop and support fully staffed. Gates are very expensive maintenance let alone the overall cost. As for the embassies we are working on a wing. You don't have enough space in the manor itself for full embassies. They will want to have a staff, probably a large one. We are building an embassy section that will have enough space. Rabbit wants to put them underground where we have more space to house them. I don't think that is a bad idea but we haven't decided. Until then we are using our spare bedroom for the drow.."


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »

“Could we put the troops underground and the embassy up top? I thought we didn’t want many people to know about the lower levels?” She walks along thinking.

“Had I known, I would have asked for more space. Are the stables done? How many more armies to we need to pilfer before I can come close to paying all this off?” She waves around her.

“All of my money is going to go to you until its paid. Im keeping a few coins from this last haul, but the rest is going to you for whatever is needed.”
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »

Nestrim shakes his head, "No, that would pin our troops underground and if we were attacked from up top an enemy might be able to trap our troops away from he manor house. Choke points coming out of the tunnels limits our options. Besides some of our troops are underground, Sobhan is insisting we mix up the barracks in a couple of places, especially if the city ever gets sieged."

He continues on after a breath, "One reason Rabbit wants them in beautiful but underground locations is we can monitor who comes and goes easier. Also we would build the embassy so it appears that is all that is below, they wouldn't see the rest of the embassy. I think I might agree with Sobhan and Rabbit, although we talked and decided a good idea was to build a tower above the embassies. One that limits access but lets different embassies have bedrooms or viewing rooms, it gives the ambassadors access to beautiful views, but it limits the footprint and how easy it is to get in and out of the embassy. We can claim it is for their protection."

He looks at her, "You can absolutely override that if you want Key, that is just the plan at the moment. Stables will be done before you leave, also you will need to pilfer probably a dozen armies. 66,000 doesn't go very far. Although both Rabbit and Sobhan have insisted a long slow payback for them. They directed that the money should go to improvements and personnel first."


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 06:23:12 AM »

Key listens, her mind whirring while Nestrim speaks. When he finishes she takes in a large breath and lets it out in a rush.

“We’ll just have to make sure they are richly rewarded for their investment.” She says almost to herself. She walks along looking at the floor in front of her.

“Im really just thinking out loud, but what if we added a floor below the manor and put the servants quarters there then housed the embassies on the ground floor of the manor? We could put a long row of windows in on the new floor so you could look out on the ocean.” She looks up and over to her brother.

“Or would that mess with the logistics of the household?”
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »

Nestrim tightens his mouth in momentary frustration, then nods in silent acceptance, "Rabbit is right, we are going to need to add on to the house. The embassies are going to want some bit of privacy for themselves and business they conduct. It isn't just a bedroom they need, they will need multiple bedrooms, multiple offices and their own place to eat and drink. She came to me earlier with a Duergar and Sobhan and we argued a bit over expanding the manor house. so radically, but it has to be done. Just for a moment's peace it will need to be done." That last bit seemed to be meant for himself.

He turns to Key, "I will put your feedback and request in to the proper builders. If you are going to want to seriously house other nations embassies the cost of the manor is going to skyrocket, but the money has already been put down by our sponsors so that isn't an issue to build. We are going to have to add levels to the building and expand out. I was hoping to use the underground floors but that is evidently the last thing people want and I can concede it might be better to do this. It will make Rabbit and Anglerond happy, if we are redoing the manor that severely they can add reinforcement to the walls of the manor house itself."


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »

Key raises a hand in surrender.

“It was just a thought. Of all of us I know the least. We’re just supplying space right? The burden of feeding them doesn’t rest on our shoulders right?” She shakes her head.

“At this rate we’re going to live in a construction zone for years more at least. Should we see if Sohban can get us more space so it’s easier for you to fit in everything we’re going to need?”
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:40:27 PM »

Nestrim just stares at her for a minute in disbelief, "You are not allowed to win, and then all of a sudden give up. I caved in, we will make the place bigger and give them places above surface. The rights to the land surrounding our land has already been bought by Red Silken Merchants and Rabbit, we just haven't taken ownership yet because debt freaks you out. It is also why we haven't finalized a solid siege wall for the whole area yet. I will tell them we will need it."

He gives her a small smile after a moment, "We feed, provide entertainment and take care of ambassadors. If we are offering to put them up, we are responsible to keep them up like they are accustomed too. I was telling you this is expensive, and you have already offered it so we can't step away without losing a lot of face and credibility... this might be what happens when you tell people they can have an embassy here without talking to me first." He laughs for a moment. "You realize you are going to be adventuring the rest of your life for this place right?" Key can tell he is joking and doesn't mean it with his wink.


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »

Key looks surprised.

“What? I didn’t think it was a contest. I was throwing out suggestions. But I take it and be proud that I suggested something that will actually work.” She laughs a bit nervously then takes a breath and lets it out. When she does her shoulders slump then straighten a new weight of responsibility settling on her shoulders.

“Do all that you need to do. I understand that it will cost staggering amounts of money. It will all be worth it. I was kidding myself when I thought we could build an empire on a budget. Your right about the embassies. I made a commitment and need to follow through.” She smiles at her brother
Logged

Dungeon Master

  • Dungeon Master
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1036
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »

Nestrim rolls his eyes and laughs, "oh gods... I was joking about winning. You are way too serious sister. Don't feel more pressure. You have no weight on your shoulders except to adventure. Do what you are good at, we will make this work. You don't owe bad people, there is no pressure on profitability. This shouldn't be about duty, this should be you exploring who you are. You are not responsible for financial aspects, that is what you put me in charge of." He touches his sister's arm reassuringly.


NESTRIM
Logged

Torie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 761
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the hallways
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

As light dawns she smiles and Nestrim.

“You Rabbit, Anglerond, Sobhan... you’ve all sacrificed it some way to make this all happen. Weather its money or giving up your old life to help me build all this, you’ve all let something go. Of course I feel a sense of responsibility and I should. Otherwise what all of you did was for nothing. I will let you do what you do best, and I’ll do what I do best.” She winks.

“But I can’t tell you that I won’t worry. Thats pretty much impossible.” She bumps him with her shoulder in affection while she walks.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up